Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Life after Grad

I was talking to a few ppl about life after graduation. Most said that getting a job in the Biomed field is tough and a degree in Biomed is worthless unless u pursue a Masters. A few of them were talking about venturing into other fields like education or finance.

These kind of talks make me kinda uneasy cos the world is changing rapidly,during my primary school years,the hype was about IT,then during my secondary school years,that bubble burst and ppl are talking about Bio-stuff (there is Bio-informatics,Bio-cybernetics and the list goes on and on,just add Bio to any word and u get a new field of study). But u have to remember that this hype is fueled by the Government so if the Govt decides to focus on sumting else,we're screw. The only job that I think is secure is being Doctor,everyone is a patient.

So far,the Job Opportunities that I had gathered is:

1) Working in Labs or Hospitals

My time spent studying would be worth it. I'll get the exposure and experience that I need to go further into the field. I'll also get a chance to get a doctor as a husband.Mum would be so proud. The downside is I'll get a smaller starting pay if I work in the hospitals but I'll get allowances and other Govt. freebies.

2) Working in the army(Medical Corps)

Almost the same cons and pros as the above but as least I'll be Captain and I can see those askars.Yummy. The pay and the allowances are quite tempting but I'll be living in the camp and have minimum choices in the work postings.

3) Working in other unrelated fields

I'll get higher pay and experiences. Although its unrelated but I still can improve myself and have a better understanding of the world. The pay is bigger.Eg. working in banks,u'll get a starting pay of rm 3 k but u need to go for courses and all that.

Being a teacher is also quite ok but I heard nowadays,MOE is accepting those who has a degree in teaching only. So I need to study for another a year or 2.

Its funny now that I realized how demand and supply works,too much of fresh grads,too little jobs openings. So far these are the work options that I have,my decision is pending as I have 1 year more to go. I have to rethink later when I get the scroll as the world changes too rapidly.

Maybe,I can work at the lorongs? :)

6 comments:

lone ranger said...

works at lorongs? which lorongs? lol.

p.s: ya. nowadays, everything need sacrifice. no pain no gain. all the BEST! :)

Anonymous said...

i have frens working as medical sales rep, the pay can b quite handsome i heard :) so mayb u can consider this option if u like to move around, and talk to ppl :)

Bravebear said...

I am in quite a shitty situation too... Aquaculture... haih...

William said...

Kalau nak kerja lorong tu tak payah degree pun... :P

Ash Godiva said...

it's the irony fact nowadays..so many surplus of fresh grads resulting in unemployment:(

you have 1 year more to go...still have time to develop some skills or talents that might be helpful after you graduate:)

Twilight Man said...

The worst thing to happen is No.3 which many regrets told me so. I have cousins and friends who graduated from prestigious law schools in London. They became sailor, copywriter and salesman!!