Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A gay activist?

5 years ago,after finishing my Ns in Lion City,I came back to Tigerland and I was shocked at the gay scene. (Thanks to G4M). Gays here are either looking for meat or for popularity which was completely different from the Gay scene in Lion City,the gays in Lion City are full of passion for improving the gay lifestyle by consolidating the Pink Power and Pink Dollar.


Trevvy.com, IndigNation parties,ppl like Alfian Saat,Alex Au,Arthur Yeap (Yawning bread),all of these events,webs or ppl try to educate the society about gay life and the stigma surrounding it. So when I return,I was expecting that gays here are trying to do the same thing while adhering to the law of land but I was proved wrong. Most of my gay frens told me that its best to focus on my education,career and frens,gay issues are best to be discussed among gays only.

The statement given by my frens weren't convincing enuff,so I did a little research and found that 2 NGOs were supporting the Gay rights (indirectly of cos) which are MAC (Msian Aids Council) and Pt foundation (Pink Triangle) while PFLAG (Msia) is trying to consolidate Pink power. Then I realized that being a Gay activist in Msia is useless. The society sweeps LGBT issues under the carpet,the Gays are focusing on their life,trying to find a niche in society and hopes no one uses Section 337 against them. Even those who came out are either being shunned by their families or being ridiculed. I do admit that 1-2% have their families' support after they came out.

I'm not saying that there is no hope for the LGBT community but the mindset of gays need to be changed,we shuld not be contented with the 4Cs (car,condo,card,career) and being the heart of the show.

There are some ppl who wants change in the mindset of the Society,each in their own way,trying to explain that gays are no just make-up artists or cross-dress or chefs,gay life isn't limited to gyms,clubs or back alleys. To this group of ppl,I salute you. Always remember that a small stone could make a big ripple and those ripples could someday create waves.


Ps: sorry if my words offend u.. Still figuring out how to write about the things I'm passionate about. Do hope that uolls get the gist of it.
Pps:One of the three NGOs mentioned have strayed away from the gay path,they choose frequent flyers points instead of the community.

4 comments:

Edwynn Yeap said...

True indeed. That is why we should target the main problem that LGBT in Malaysia is facing first. Then we go for the bigger fishes.

Lucas said...

Its Secular... but if u read the fine prints... it says Islam. So if Islam is the predominant religion... and gay is non-islam, then there is no way of any actual open activity for gay activist.

We all know who holds the cards in politics, and they cant be gay... or else it wud be a repeat of the ex deputy PM. So who wud wanna follow his footsteps?

ps. I personally think he was framed.

ichimaru akira said...

PFLAG: Shall we dance?

Lucas: Yes,I know about that but there are other ways that we could promote Gay culture...For instance,we all have been blogging about it,some focus on the evil side and some focus on the good side of this gay world.

Do u know how many gays end up as drug addicts or HIV patients cos they enter the gay scene blindly?

the viennamese said...

The LGBT community in M'sia hasn't been liberated simply because noone has done much...yet. But things are changing and people are now becoming less conservative and gays are screaming for equality and anti-discrimination rights. I'm sure many are trying to make a change and I'm trying to get in touch with a very influential gay activist from Tasmania, Australia and hopefully be able to discuss with him on what he did to liberate Tasmania from anti-gay laws. ^_^